History

1930 School of Science is established with six departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology and Mineralogy, Botany, Zoology.
1949 Departments of Botany and Zoology are combined as Department of Biology.
1953 Graduate School of Science (post-war educational system) is established with six departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology and Mineralogy, Botany, and Zoology.</ br>
Department of Geophysics is added in the School of Science.
1959 Department of Polymer Science is established.
1963 Department of Chemistry II is formed.
1965 Liquid Helium Center is established.
1980 School of Science celebrates the 50th anniversary.
1981 High Resolution Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory is established.
1985 Laboratory for Energy Dispersive and Wave Length Dispersive X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy is established (renamed the Earth and Planetary Solid Material Analytical Laboratory in 2015).
1988 Laboratory for SQUID Magnetometer and Susceptometer is established.
1993 Departments of Biology and Polymer Science are reorganized into Department of Biological Sciences.
1994 Department of Geology & Mineralogy and Department of Geophysics are reorganized into Department of Earth Sciences.
1995 Departments of Chemistry and Chemistry II are reorganized as Department of Chemistry.
1998 Institute of Seismology and Volcanology is established by combining 4 observatories, Research Center for Earthquake Prediction, and Laboratory for Ocean Bottom Observatory.
2005 School of Science celebrates the 75th anniversary.
2006 Graduate School of Science is reorganized to “Graduate School of Science” and “Faculty of Science”.</ br>
Faculty of Science consists of five Departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Natural History Sciences (renamed Earth & Planetary Sciences in 2015).
2007 Nuclear Reaction Data Centre is established.</ br>
Network Center for Molecular and System Life Sciences is established.</ br>
Observation and Data Centre for Cosmosciences is established.
2008 Genome Dynamics Research Center is established.</ br>
Center for Strategic Utilization of Elements is established.</ br>
Moving into the current block of buildings (Bldg. 2-8).
2010 Alumnus and former faculty member Dr. Akira Suzuki, who is also a professor emeritus at our university, is awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
2012 Office for International Academic Support is established.
2016 Center for International Collaborative Education in Science is established.</ br>
Mental Care Office, Office for Research Strategy, and Office for Promotion & Planning of Public Relations are set up.